Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Food! (My new blogs intro and a lunch salad recipe below.)

The inspiration for this blog is to share my insights, research, and attempts at feeding myself and my family in a way that helps us all Flourish. Flourish Unlimited is the name of my health and wellness company which is based on movement to encourage harmony and vitality in life. Food is an essential part of finding better balance and harmony for not only ourselves but also our planet. We all need to eat to live but getting all that we need to really flourish can be a challenge. I try to keep my food philosophy simple. It's important for me to eat food that nourishes me, energizes me, is enjoyable and fulfilling. My philosophy is one of moderation and respect for myself and the planet. Basically I just wanted a place to perhaps offer a little inspiration for you to feed yourself in a way that helps you, your family, and the world around you feel a little better.

I am by no means a food expert. I did learn to cook the basics when I was very young. My mom taught me to cook eggs and potatoes and a few other things. My dad who was born in Ireland liked very plain food and my mom likes things simple so there wasn't a lot of spice in my food as a child. The three meals I remember eating the most when I cooked for myself in college was Tuna Helper, Sausage with Potatoes and Green Beans, and Healthy Choice Ice Cream! I started to feel like " a cook" after spending hours watching The Food Network while nursing my first born child. I learned some techniques to make cooking easier and I was inspired by interesting flavor combinations. I'll likely reveal some more of my food history along the way but I just wanted to take a moment to point out that I'm not an expert and don't have food preparation training but I have come to a place where I am comfortable in the kitchen and feel good about the food I prepare for myself and my family. I hope this blog might offer a little motivation, support or inspiration to help you eat well.

OK that's enough of an intro for today... Today's Recipe is....
Actually first I'm going to say one more thing... almost everything I cook is an adaptation of a recipe I found somewhere. The library is chock full of amazing cookbooks and of course the supply is limitless on the internet.

Today's lunch was an adaptation of Natalia Rose's "Salad Gone Nuts"
Natalia Rose is the author of The Raw Food Detox Diet and her website is www.therawfooddetoxdiet.com

In a big bowl start your dressing...

  • 1 Tb. Balsamic Vinegar
  • Squirt of Honey
  • 2 teaspoons Grapeseed Oil (or other light oil)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (could also use a dash of powdered ginger or just skip)

Whisk ingredients and then add salad components.
(I try to use organic veggies - it's most important for the veggies with soft skins or if you consume the skin)

  • Peel and grate 1 Carrot into the bowl
  • 1 handful Grape Tomatoes
  • 1/4 chopped English Cucumber (comes in plastic so there's no wax on the skin and you can keep it on) If you are using a regular cucumber you should peel it and scoop out the seeds if you like.
  • Optional a handful of matchstick Daikon Radish (looks like a big white carrot - very purifying for body)
  • Handful of Baby Spinach chopped
  • Handful of Fresh Spring Salad Mix
  • Small handful of Raw Walnuts


Mix up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment