Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Cranberry Tea Muffins



This recipe is my absolute favorite breakfast item during the holiday season that spans Thanksgiving through New Years when you can easily snag some fresh cranberries. I adapted this recipe from a Martha Stewart Cranberry Tea Bread which is posted below. With my busy mornings I love having a hand-held breakfast ready for me as I pack lunches and brush teeth:-) Usually I like to make mini-muffins because I just don't eat that much first thing in the morning. But, these muffins are chunky so you need to use the regular tins. 

A note about the cranberries... being cooked in the muffins mellows them a bit but they are tart. I like them for the pick-up they give me. Dried cranberries are sweeter and would be a fine substitute.

This recipe makes 12 muffins
Preheat Oven to 350°
Coat muffin tins with oil, butter, or cooking spray so the muffins don't stick.

Mix These Dry Ingredients in a large bowl:
  • 2 cups flour (I'm using Namaste Foods Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend)
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Cardamom (cinnamon or nutmeg would be good substitutes)
  • 3/4 cup Fresh Cranberries - cut in half
  • 1/2 cup Walnuts - chopped
  • 1/4 cup Crystalized Ginger - chopped fine
In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients:
  • 2 eggs (vegans can use 1/4 cup applesauce, pumpkin puree, smashed banana etc.)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
  • 1/4 cup melted butter or mild oil (I love using nut oils in my muffin mixes)
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice (cow, rice, soy - all will do based on your diet needs)

Make a "well" in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet mix and stir to combine. Scoop into prepared muffin tins. Bake in 350° oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Keep your eye on them. You'll know they are done when you insert a fork and it comes out dry.


http://www.wholeliving.com/132996/cranberry-tea-bread

Enjoy!

So after I posted this, I wondered, "is this really family food." Well hubby came home from work and had one and replied "that didn't really look that great but it was delicious." Then my 8-year old came home and scarfed down two of them. I had to smile when she asked for the second one. So yes, these are family-friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment