Friday, July 15, 2011

French Fried Potato and Carrot Pancakes

Don't let the name fool you these little cakes are delicious AND healthy. Like my four-year old, it might take a little practice for your kids to enjoy the form of the food but they taste yummy. My seven year old ate her first one and then said, "These are sooo good - I NEED another one." The inspiration for these came from a recipe I made awhile back from Mark Bittman. He had a recipe for carrot cakes as a suggestion for breakfast. The recipe was little more than grated carrot, eggs, salt, and a dash of cornmeal. After recently falling in love with corn cakes and watching the zucchini grow in the garden, I thought they would combine well. Then my new Vegetarian Times Magazine came in the mail. In a glossy centerfold was a stack of Potato, Carrot, Zucchini Pancakes. I love synchronicity like this. I modified their recipe and decided to use the chick pea flour for protein instead of the cornmeal I had used in my previous carrot cakes and a star was born in these crunchy, savory pancakes. Writing about them now, I feel excited to have not only a yummy dinner option but I think they will be fantastic for brunch and maybe combined into a nice casserole when it comes time for buffet season this fall.

Prepare the Veggies
  • Saute 1 large shallot* in a cast iron skillet (any other skillet is fine but the cast iron will give your cakes more crispness) 
In a large bowl grate:
  • 1 medium potato (I used an Idaho potato but I think a sweet potato would be great too!)
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 small zucchini
  • Wrap the veggies in a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can over the sink

Prepare the Batter
In a separate small bowl mix:
  • 1/4 cup flour - I used chick pea flour for added protein and to make it gluten-free but any type will work fine
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In the large bowl that once held your veggies (which are now wrapped in a towel in your sink;-)
  • Whisk 2 eggs
  • Add the sauteed shallot*
  • Add the veggies
  • Dust with your seasoned flour and mix well - Your batter will look a little like the texture of coleslaw and you might wonder will this work? As the eggs cook around the veggies it will bind the cake.

Making Cake
  • Coat your skillet with a thin layer of olive oil for each new batch
  • Use an ice-cream scoop to dollop the batter into the pan
  • Gently flatten and shape your cakes
  • Cook over med-high heat until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes per side)
  • Keep the cakes warm in the oven until ready to serve

Serving
I'm going to work on some type of creamy sauce for these the next time. In the meantime, the adults ate them with green jalapeno sauce and the kids used, what else, ketchup! Vegetarian Times served them with a tomato corn relish.


* I prefer shallots but a little chopped onion and garlic work in the same way as the shallot

No comments:

Post a Comment