Monday, January 23, 2012

Food to Welcome the New Year of the Dragon

The moon begins it's new year cycle today which is also how China marks it's new year. This year is a dragon year which brings transformation. I learned recently that Chinese dragons, unlike ferocious western dragons, are happy and playful.  I think we are all up for some fun this year, aren't we? I just found this website for some inspiration for dinner tonight. The menu is in the works. I'm thinking broccoli, cauliflower, and maybe shrimp or fish with long noodles. The menu is symbolic of happiness blossoming, wishes coming true, abundance, and a long, healthy life.  I'll update later... but for now find your own inspiration here http://steamykitchen.com/7297-what-to-eat-for-chinese-new-year-recipes.html

I made stir-fry with this basic sauce:
3 Tb. tamari (soy sauce)
2 Tb. rice wine vinegar
1 T. umeboshi plum wine vinegar (you can just use rice wine vinegar)
1 Tb. sugar
1 Tb. corn starch
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove chopped garlic or shallot


No comments:

Post a Comment